Sunday, August 5, 2012

Two Weeks

Guest Post: Aunt Kristen

Day Two.
Two Weeks.

These last two weeks have been quite the experience. I have learned how to successfully sleep through the sound of crying babies, how to successfully catch excessive amounts of spit up, and the best possible way to put a onesie on a squirming baby. I am a huge sucker for family time and my favorite role in life is being an aunt. I was so excited to spend two weeks with Sara, Austin, and the girls, and although I knew it would be an exhausting two weeks, it was completely worth it. And as hard as it may be to go home, I am extremely excited to plop down in my bed. 

The first time I saw the girls, I could not believe how big they had gotten. It had been about six weeks since my last visit, and they had gained about two pounds each. Also, since I had seen the girls last, they had started babbling, flipping over, holding their babies, and "helping" us hold their bottles. It's amazing to see the girls grow and develop and I am so proud to be their aunt. 

Chicago has also been an experience in itself. Kansas City is not quite the same as Chicago..and so it was a bit of an adjustment coming to the city for two weeks. There are certain things that I am not quite used to (like walking instead of driving or going 30 mph on the freeway) but I have become as accustomed to as possible. 

Another adjustment that I have made is helping out with two babi/es. One baby is a handful...two babies are two handfuls. So, the fact that I have two hands and two arms has been quite a great thing for the Hey family. It's so different going out in public with the girls. I understand that the girls are cute and I understand that people think that twins are rare (which is really not true...these days, twins are a 1 to 33 ratio to just one kiddo) and I understand that they are fun to look at...but what I don't understand is people stopping us while we are out and about, trying to live our lives and marveling at the fact that there are two children in the stroller instead of one. Yes. It is awesome that there are two babies, but you do not need to tickle their feet and ask about them. This could be more tolerable if it only happened once a day, but this is not the case. Every time we go out, at least one person stops us every five minutes. It is not only obnoxious but is also extremely uncomfortable. 

Despite the awkward conversations with strangers, the excessive amounts of spit up, and the dirty diapers, I have had a blast these last two weeks. I have loved every minute here and wouldn't trade these two weeks for anything.
Aunt Kristen and Grace (NICU days)
Aunt Kristen and Kate (NICU days)


No comments:

Post a Comment